Friday, December 30, 2011

Diets are for fit people!

If you’re following this blog,  you’ll see my progress as I go from tubby to fit. With this in mind you should know a little bit more about my diet and fitness goals.
When I started lifting weights, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn’t change a thing about my diet.  I’m a fat middle aged guy and I have very few joys in life to look forward to. Eating is very important to me.
But exercising and weight lifting have changed my diet in ways that have amazed me. I’m learning that some life changes are spontaneous when you start doing healthy things, like say, exercise.
But again, I didn’t start lifting to become healthier or to lose weight or to look more fit. Those are all things that are happening to me, but they aren’t reasons for the workout.  I work out with weights because it feels so good! I started lifting during a very stressful time in my life that blogged about earlier,  and the weight lifting made me feel  soo much better.
So with all that in mind, here are my new diet rules.
1.       If you’re a cow, I’m going to eat you. That’s just the way it is. I love steak and other cow meats, and I’m not giving them up, for nobody or for no one.
2.       If you’re a chicken you better be able to run faster than me at lunch time.
3.       If you’re a pig, give it up for the bacon and the ribs! And save me a ham sandwich.
4.       Mrs. Hostess is calling. Can you hear her? “Ding dong, ding dong”
5.       Cola drinks are from God. Nothing that tastes that great and makes you feel that good could possibly be bad for you.
6.       Chocolate is, holy cow, it's just that, you see, we've just got to, especially dark chocolate. You know that one place at the mall that makes chocolates? We've just got to eat chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.
Apart from those rules, I’ve had a very interesting diet experience that is the direct result of my weight lifting.
My desire to drink sodas is gone. I’m drinking more water instead. No one told me to do this, it’s just what my body craves.
I’m fine with just one cookie when cookies are offered. I don’t have to sneak and eat ten or twelve, and then blame the kids.
I don’t need late night snacks.
I don’t need seconds.
I take home a box of left overs when I eat out at restaurants (instead of finishing everyone else’s meal)
Meals don’t have to have dessert.
I could go on and on.
The point is, I’m eating healthier, and it’s spontaneous. My healthy body craves healthy eating habits.
I want to follow this post up with a new post about education, and I’ll do that next.

No comments:

Post a Comment